Take Action to Protect Your Rights for Custody
Child custody disputes affect millions of American families, including thousands right here in Rensselaer County. This leads to heated arguments and a deteriorating relationship between you, the other parent, and even between both parents and the child. Take action to mitigate the turmoil and ensure that your child’s best interests are protected by contacting an attorney with the Rensselaer County law offices of The Colwell Law Group, LLC. We have more than 20 years of combined family law experience and we are here to help in your time of need.
Best Interest of the Child
The court will always decide in the best interest of the child, no matter what type of custody is being discussed or disputed, including:
- Sole custody;
- Split legal custody;
- Physical custody; or
- Visitation rights.
But what does the best interest of the child mean? All of the following criteria will be taken, regarding each parent, when it comes to creating a court ordered child support agreement, according to the New York City Bar Association:
- Proximity to quality education;
- Who is staying in the child’s original home, city, or state;
- Child caretaking ability;
- Relationship with child;
- History of drug or alcohol abuse;
- Physical and mental health;
- Who has been the primary caretaker;
- Spousal abuse; and
- Abuse or neglect (whether true or allegations). Sometimes, false allegations are made in order to receive sole custody. However, this can seriously backfire.